Re: [NTLK] Wooo Hooooo - Just received my WLI-PCM-L11GP-PC

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 07:52:26 PST

On 20/01/04 10:26, "Jon Glass" <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:

>> I don't think so. Just did a quick archive check, there has been
>> considerable interest but it seems that it cannot be done.
>
> I am not sure if this has been answered definitely yet, because it seems
> this thread is spread out... But, you can stop trying to load and use NIE 2
> on your 130. It won't even load... I tried that when I got my 2100, and
> hoped to copy the files over, but I couldn't even do that... In the end, I
> discovered that I could use IR to transport the necessary packages, but then
> again, I was on a Mac PowerBook with IR, and running OS 9, so it was really
> very easy... I don't know how this could be done otherwise.
>
> I wish it were possible to create a package for the Newt that would work
> like those ones for Macs, where they spoof a certain computer, enabling the
> install of System software on models not originally designed for it...
>
> So, on the Newton, you could convince the package when it's installed that
> it's actually residing on a 2100 when, in fact, it's residing on a 130... It
> would be even nicer if you could install packages in a frozen state... But
> then again, I'm just dreaming here....

The problem here is that there are reasons why the package requires NOS 2.1:
the ROMs that are found in the NOS 2.1-based Newtons. So, I don't think it
would make you any good even if you were able to fool the package in
believing it's running on a 2100 when it's actually on a 130...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html