Re: [NTLK] Newton WiFi w/ Lucent

From: Bret Feinblatt (bafein_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 16:45:39 PST

On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 07:24 PM, Anil wrote:
> Hi Bret, I too have A WaveLan Silver Turbo card and I can't get it to
> connect to my Nokia base station. I am not sure if it is because of
> WEP, which apparently the Silver card does not support. But the Gold
> version does. There is more info here
> http://www.paris-sansfil.fr/index.php/UpgradeSilverToGoldMacEn
>
> on how you can get the Silver card to think it is a Gold card and use
> WEP. Or you could just turn WEP off if you are using it, and see if
> that lets you connect.

I've been running it without WEP to begin with - have to register the
software first before I can use it anyway... no go.

> Do you get any flashing lights on the card when an app trys to access
> it? Or can't you get that far?

I just got the card this afternoon and printed all the relevant info
from the Newton WaveLAN and NewtEnlightenment websites. I've got it set
up pretty much the way it seems you're supposed to; and I do get a
flashing light/lights when it initially attempts to connect. So I'm
doing something right.

> I haven't pursued it further because I am busy and don't have the time,
> anyway Ethernet works fine so I can connect, just not wirelessly. I
> need to use 128 bit WEP because I would like some sort of protection

Ditto, but right now I'd just be happy with a positive result, like a
connection, being able to sync w/ iCal and so forth...

--
Don't do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. Their tastes might
be different.