Re: [NTLK] Shop is open.

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 00:19:22 PST

Re: a USB port inside the newton...

I think it is something I would purchase, but there are two issues (at
least):
1. Serial must remain for keyboards, etc. Does inserting something new into
the space of the SER-001 require losing the IC port if you turn the SER-002
to USB? If so, then I wouldn't want it.
2. Software on the computer end... Whatever is done has to work with NCU and
other apps. Is this possible? Will the software see the USB port on the
Newton as serial or USB? If somebody could create USB-based software on the
PC side to work with a USB port, then we would be talking serious money
here, but otherwise, I fear that it would just be a toy...

Those are my thoughts off the cuff, so to speak... Maybe to push discussion
forward... I also would like to see a straight USB solution, although,
honestly speaking, I'm using ethernet at the moment, so it is less
important. However, to have some form of bootstrapping a Newton to Ethernet
would be useful, nay, important, nay, vital. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland