[NTLK] New TCP Stack, Bluetooth [was Re: Wireless Sniffer]

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 04:58:04 PST

>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Wireless Sniffer
>Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:38:54 -0700
>From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>
>
>In a previous message, Stac typed vigorously:
>
>[...]
>
> >Now - as I understood it, the TCP stack for the Newton is limited. Not all
> >the functionality of other TCP stacks is built into the newton (for
> >obvious reasons) and I've been told that even ICMP packets aren't able to
> >be generated from a Newton.
>
>Well, the solution is simple...
>
>We just need a new TCP stack. Get on it boys!

I second the motion. Pls. rectify what Apple botched - no networking for
NOS 2.0.

On the throttled USB vs. Bluetooth-discussion, I'd prefer Bluetooth, even
if right now I only have USB-gear and use an MP 130 (and Mr. PCBMan
wouldn't probably make a module for those boxes, too - right, David?). If
Bluetooth uses significantly less power and allows browsing a desktop's
directories, Internet access and synching things and "attaching" hardware -
then that's like WLAN and USB all rolled in one. Plus it would be a
completely internal solution - no sockets, no cables.
A PCBMan BlueSer-module would preserve the most heritage intaface (saving
investments in adapters and stuff) *and* provide a contemporary,
no-strings-attached, full-bandwidth. It would be as if a new Newton were
launched, and Apple had simply skipped two interface generations (USB and
Firewire).
Q: How secure is Bluetooth as compared to secured and unsecured WLAN?

DJV.

P.S.: Thinking of new stacks - how about an improved IR-stack + transmitter
module for NOS 2.x that does some nice distance and could be used for a
programmeable, learning IR remote control? Would be a nice project after
the new TCP stack and the Bluetooth-module are available.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html