Re: [NTLK] New TCP Stack, Bluetooth [was Re: Wireless Sniffer]

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 05:25:12 PST

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> > >Now - as I understood it, the TCP stack for the Newton is limited. Not all
> > >the functionality of other TCP stacks is built into the newton (for
> > >obvious reasons) and I've been told that even ICMP packets aren't able to
> > >be generated from a Newton.

They can be generated over Ethernet.

> >Well, the solution is simple...
> >
> >We just need a new TCP stack. Get on it boys!

I think Grant was somewhat ironic here.

> Q: How secure is Bluetooth as compared to secured and unsecured WLAN?

Well, once a new TCP stack would be written, what about adding SSL to the
Newton? And VPN?

> P.S.: Thinking of new stacks - how about an improved IR-stack + transmitter
> module for NOS 2.x that does some nice distance and could be used for a
> programmeable, learning IR remote control? Would be a nice project after
> the new TCP stack and the Bluetooth-module are available.

I don't know how real the Bluetooth-module project is right now, but
please be aware that all this is just dreams for the moment. Eckhart and
David haven't mentioned any study on the feasability of this.

And there is no ETA for a new TCP stack as far as I know.

Paul

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html