Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 04:45:27 PST

On Friday, January 23, 2004, at 04:44 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> From: Anil <anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:07:47 +0000
>
> Dear Robert, do you leave cash on the dashboard of your car?

Anil.

I know this was addressed to Robert, but since it's on the list...

> If you live in a city you tend to have neighbours, cities are places
> where a lot of people normally live, as opposed to living in say the
> middle of Alaska, where your nearest neighbours are several miles away.
>
> So the chances of your network being sniffed attacked call it what you
> will increase, basic maths.

It sounds like you are still a little insecure about your wireless
network. Here's a comforting email and some other non-math:

-just like the lock on the door of your house or your car, a simple
feature like MAC address filtering keeps out the mostly honest people.

-just like the lock on your car or your house, WEP or MAC filtering
does nothing whatsoever to keep out the dishonest people.

-arm waving math, it seems a good estimation that if you did a survey
of people in your area:
        - >98 % of them would not know what WEP or MAC meant
        -of the <2% that DO know, far, far less than 1% of those people would
be in range of your house, and of those that ARE, why bother to use
YOUR router? (they'd likely have their own).

> Hope that makes my point clearer for you.

Well OK, perhaps this email just made you uncomfortable about the lock
on your house and car, too :) Hope not.

Hope that helps reassure you. Plusses of wireless on the Newton:

Many warm fuzzy feelings generated by being able to :
-play streaming MP3s from that neat jazz station at EMU at your
bedside, even if you live within radio broadcast range
-take a peek at that darn new mailing list one last time from your
nightstand
-see what's on that TekEd newton site anyway?
-use a neat technology to the fullest

But of course your Newt and network are yours to use as you see fit.

> Kindest regards

take care,

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html