Re: [NTLK] Nsync for WinXP

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 22:20:32 PST

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Peter H. Coffin wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:40:53PM -0600, David M. Ensteness wrote:
> > It was my understanding there wasn't much need because the Newton
> > Connection Utilities still work under XP ... I know they work under
> > Win2K ... but since I don't do much of that, I spose there may be
> > benefits of newer stuff.
>
> TCP-based (or heck, even Appletalk-based) backup/package installer
> resources for the Windows platform is hollow spot in the Newton world.
> I wouldn't mind seeing either exist for unix-like operating system as
> well. Netatalk exists already, so the services for Appletalk are already
> available.

Did you consider porting the DCL?

We definitely don't plan ourselves to add support for Windows but with a
small dozen of classes, you'd get all the features of the DCL on Windows.
You basically need to write classes to support files on the Windows
platform and TCP/IP and/or AppleTalk and/or Serial and/or IrDA.

As far as Unix is concerned, we didn't work on netatalk but we already
have Unix (POSIX) files, TCP/IP with BSD sockets and Serial support.

If anyone is interested in writing this, I can explain what needs to be
written exactly.

Paul

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html