Re: [NTLK] So where to (re)start?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 16:48:02 PST

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:30:27PM -0800, Newtopia wrote:
> It takes 3 Slowdown.exe's for my MP 2100 to even make a connection to my
> Laptop (XP/3.0HT/1 gig ram/60 gig 7,200 rpm hdd) and with 3 running I can
> take multiple naps while trying to get .pkgs installed. Additionally, it's
> inevitable that my Laptops gives up life, skips any blue screen or any other
> attempt to show a fatal problem and just shuts off, going into a reboot. I
> think my best effort was getting all of the network drivers for Ethernet
> over a WiFi, MPG and shopList before the big puke. Only to find out that
> WiFi between a Newton and a Windows box is pretty much useless.
>
> It would be really cool if someone created a patch to allow for Ethernet as
> an option to connect with in NCU for Windows!

All this luggage when you already have a network... You can probably
pick up an ethernet-enabled mac for $30 at a garage sale and drop it
onto the network. I've got a PB 5300 that does nothing except sit most
of the time with an Appleshare connection open to the BSD server. I
download packages to the server, find them on the shared drive, drop 'em
on packtype, then NCU that's also always open can find them for the
newton.

I love hetrogenious networks:

ThinkPad Win2k (client of othin)
othin server OpenBSD (firewall, disk shares via samba and netatalk,
                            printer share via samba to appletalk LW IIg)
gehenna server Linux (disk shares via samba)
Roomie's PC Win XP (shared space, plus client of othin)
Guest station Win 98 (client of othin)
PB 5300 MacOS 8.6 (client of othin, NCU host)
Mac LCIII MacOS 7.6 (client of othin) kept for old games
Newt 2100 Newt OS (client of PB 5300 occasionally, prints to LW IIg)

--
5. The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the
   Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of