Re: [NTLK] FW: Re: Gem Enterprises selling info from my site ***This is my first post ever, please make this a group reply***

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 09:23:56 PST

David M. Ensteness wrote:
> Dear Gary,
>
> I have been keeping up with a chunk of this. My impression of the
<snippity snap>

Okay. Whoa there everyone. It's getting kinda hot in this thread already.

It should be pretty obvious up to this point that Newton users are pretty
darn protective of their platform, and don't like it when they think that
they see people taking advantage of it. In this case Frank thought that GEM
was taking advantage of the free information on the pda-soft website by
including it as part of an eBay auction.

I called this "despicable and low", because according to my reading of the
auction, the information was part of the package - ie. being paid for.

Gary fired back to say that he wasn't doing anything wrong, and that he was
giving out the links for free to people in order to help Newton users.
Which, hey, sounds pretty darn spiffy to me.

Except that the wording of the auction doesn't sound to me like this is a
free bonus - the word free isn't anywhere in the listing at all. It honestly
sounded to me that if I put down my $25 for this auction, part of that
payment INCLUDES said links.

Gary, maybe you can just tweak your auction description(s) to make this a
little clearer? I would say something like:

"PLUS - AS A FREE BONUS we will give you our own verified list of Newton
links, which includes maintenance instructions such as: [list of stuff]"

I am not Frank, so I don't know what he thinks of this. It would be a shame
if a simple misunderstanding resulted in a flamewar of e-mail.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html