Re: [NTLK] Dave, make a website off it. ;=} Re: Indispensable Software for a 2100

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 11:34:54 PST

All too ambitious of projects often end before they begin ...

Well, several years back I was running a Mac User Group. At the time I
had a personal software archive [just a CD worth of free updates and
such I used a lot], well, I tossed it on the MUG server and started
grabbing all the freeware and updates I came across, other MUG members
did likewise. Now I have something like 20-30GB of software laying
about. At some point I ended up inheriting several CD archives of
Newton software which I tossed up on said server.

So, all that the way it is, the MUG is no more and I am on dialup, so
the archive is still on my Mac OS X Server in my basement but its not
online and available to the world. Nor was there ever a suitable
interface for it. It was shared via AFP, SMB, and FTP when it was used
by the MUG. Now, its just sorta dormant.

Its not my only archive. I also have between 4-5,000 online news
articles regarding the tech industry plus manuals and such. Lastly I
have been keeping up an archive of video, Apple keynotes, commercials,
interviews, etc ...

My plan has always been to learn MySQL and PHP, put up a website
containing each of these archives. All items categorized and searchable
by keyword, author, publication, categories, date, general summary.

As expected ... I haven't done it. Its a rather ambitious project, it
would, I think at least, be of great use to some. But, when I will get
to it? No idea. Time, money, bandwidth, and knowledge are the things
holding me back.

Right now I am working on my Apple Certified Technician Training and
looking for work. On the side I am working on a hobby network project -
providing service parity across Classic Mac OS, Mac OS X, Linux, and
Windows 2000/XP. I figure as businesses move towards cross-platform
environments in the future it will be a marketable trade.

David

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html