Re: [NTLK] Trade Mac/Newt stuff for Lego Mindstorm stuff

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 03:17:11 PDT

>Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:23:01 +0200
>From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Jochen_Sch=E4fer?= <js.josch_at_gmx.de>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Trade Mac/Newt stuff for Lego Mindstorm stuff

>DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>|>Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:14:22 +0200
>|>From: Jochen_Schäfer <js.josch_at_gmx.de>
>|>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Trade Mac/Newt stuff for Lego Mindstorm stuff

>|>DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>.... e.g. competitions and off-site projects, and sketching ideas on the
>run.
>| About compiling the bytecode - if a Java-app can do it, why shouldn't
>| something Waba be able to do the same?
>Yeah, damn cool, but the issues are:
>- - Can Waba interface with IR?

Ask Mr. Weyer and Sean Luke.

>- - How much space do the Java programm need to do it's job.

No clue.

>Easiest thing would be - if RCX and Newton can talk over IR - would be
>to telnet into RCX with Forth on it.
>Can you tell me which Java program that is?

IIRC, LeJos. Pls. check out the wishlist page at the Wiki
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SoftwareWishlist, I've
compiled some ressource links.

>|>Which reminds me of an old DDJ (Dr Doobs Journal) article about a boat
>|>stirred by a Newton ;-)
>|
>| There was a project called the Micro Ship that had some Newton tie-ins in
>| 1995-96 (find all
>| context before, though Newtons would make great sensor data monitors.
>| Wish
>| there'd be easily configurable sensoring apps available that could connect
>| easily via RS232 or BT to sensors.
>Don't know if it's the same thing, but the article I'm referring to ( I
>will research it, when I have some time, which is not now), the Newton
>2x00 was used to directly control some motor to -IIRC- steer the ship.

Hmh, must be something different. Here, they were using Tarpons and all
reports about Newtons that I'd seen were 1995-96 (last Microship status
report is from 2001), so that's obviously NOS 2.0, and I haven't read
anything about steering yet. But then, if you you can drive a camera turret
off a Newton, you could drive the rudder, winches and stuff, too.

What I love is the sensoring app shown in Chris Burmester's article. Would
love to have something like this in an automotive context (rpm, odometer,
oilpressure, several temperature readings,...). Or even when sailing my
folding boat double seater kayak. ;=}

DJV.