Re: [NTLK] Question: Newton 2100 Internal Battery Dead?

From: John (macnut1_at_gawab.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 21:21:11 PDT

On Jul 16, 2004, at 11:12 PM, Brian A.Davis wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I recently purchased my first Newton 2100. Previously I had a Newton
> 120 for a couple of months. When I received my 2100, I found the date
> and time settings would reset when I pulled the rechargeable battery.
> Thinking the internal backup battery was dead, I set out to disassemble
> the 2100 to replace the battery. Having done so, I found the internal
> battery to be glued/soldered in place. Is there an easy way to replace
> the battery, or am I missing something basic?
>
> I have read the FAQ and searched the list archives, but did not find
> anything relevant. Am I using the right terminology as my search
> criteria?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Actually, the 2100 doesn't have a back-up battery like the earlier 1xx
series. They have a "super-cap" capacitor which stores enough power to
keep your settings for quite a while. It's possible that your super-cap
is bad, or maybe you need to keep it on the ac adapter for a while to
let it fully charge the super-cap.

JR