Re: [NTLK] Flying With Newton

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 11:07:00 PDT

Jim Grich wrote:
> I wondered if anyone has had a problem taking their Newton with them on
> a commercial airline flight? I ask this because of the stylus and the
> "potential weapon" threat. I have to carry it onto the plane and
> wondered if i would be "forced" (Yea, good luck) to get rid of the
> stylus?

Never. It does not have a sharp edge, therefore it's not considered a weapon.

Of course, you should always consult the local transport authority, wherever
you are travelling, if you are unsure.

> Also...How much do I have to worry about the 4 meg memory card as well
> as the Newtons internal memory when passing it through the Xray
> machines? Should I have them hand search it to avoid any erasures?

If you're really paranoid, just take the card out beforehand and carry it in
your pocket or something. Again, I've never had data loss while flying with
my Newton, from Toronto to London, Budapest, Florida, or the Caribbean.

Remember, if you insist on having your carry on bag searched by hand, make
sure all the devices inside have working batteries and can be turned on, so
you can demonstrate them to the security personnel.