Re: [NTLK] X-Rays and Newts

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 09:31:31 PDT

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 05:56:50PM +1000, Matthew Middlebrooke wrote:
> Hi All-
> this summer I will be taking off to college with my little green friend.
> Due to where I live(Guam) I will be flying all the way. I'm worried
> about taking my newton with me on the flight, because of the x ray
> machines it has to through. I've read the horror stories on the archive,
> and I don't want to be a statistic.
> Is there anything that I can do to minimize the effects of the x ray
> machine? what I've learned through the stories is that the magnetic
> field generated by the motors can damage the newt, but what about x rays?
> I'm stuck between risking that demise of my machine or sending it via USPS.
> Any tips, suggestions, warnings, y'know whatever is greatly appreciated,

Don't put it in checked baggage. The xrays used in the US for checked
baggage at least, are powerful enough to wreck even slow photographic
films and may cause mayhem to electronics.

Carry-on luggage is xrayed at much lower power, and has never caused any
of my gear any problems. This includes newtons and laptops. Carry it
with you, and you'll be in bigger danger from dropping it than anything
else likely to happen.

--
Christmas is weird. What other time of the year do you sit
in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of your socks?