Re: [NTLK] (No Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:25:32 -0400

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 18:40:14 PDT

>Many, MANY of these are available on UNNA ( http://www.unna.org ), I'm
>pleased to say! I would start there. If anyone knows where to get more,
>I'd love to know. I'm almost through all the ones challenging enough to
>be any fun. ;)

Well I did some checking and apparently this is not exactly the same as the
ROM card I have. For one thing only the crossword game is on UNNA, Word
Search and Crypto is missing. Also the puzzle packs don't seem to be the
same
that were installed on the Card. At least the first couple I looked at.
Also the card only has 13 packs, and there are more than that on UNNA.

And a WARNING to all those who have the ROM card "Dell Crosswords & Other
Word games", do NOT install the Crosswords app from UNNA. After I did and
then
inserted my ROM card, I get this odd error "This card is locked
and formatted in another language, please remove, unlock, and reinsert it to
convert" I
then tap ok and it loads the packages normally. But when I tried to run
them, I get a error when they start searching for puzzle packs. I removed
the card, reset then reinserted, same thing. Tried it in another Newton and
no problem. Brain wiped the first Newt and then it worked ok.

Then I restored the Newt from a recent backup, did the same thing and no
problem. Perhaps it was just a one-time event, but I would backup your newt
before trying the Crosswords app on UNNA if you have used the ROM card
version.

Also there is a conflict if you install say puzzle pack #1 from UNNA and
then try to play pack #1 puzzle #1 when you finished that one (or even
looked at it) for the puzzle pack #1 on the ROM card. It will cause a
error (I forget the error number at the moment). The conflict is because
the app stores data on how far you are in the puzzle in a soup, and because
the puzzle's are different yet stored in the same place in the soup (puzzle
pack #1 puzzle #1), the data don't match and you have a crash. To avoid
this, make sure to only play with the packs #14 and up from UNNA. Or use
the "clean up" button to delete all your old saved games for each pack
before you install packs #1 through #13.

On one final note, the packs on UNNA are only for the Crossword game. The
packs for Word Search or Crypto are different (wish I could find some more
packs for them).

-Dan