Re: [NTLK] Newton and networking

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 20:34:47 PDT

Yeah, thanks for the info. I tried that and Simplemail
can't get any main and I get an error in NetHopper
that says "A communications problem has occured.
Connection may have been dropped"
My dongle shows green on link status and the traffic
led blinks, but I can't get anything. Does the Newton
use Ethertalk as it's protocol?
I suspect that if so, they are blocking that at the
routers.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- L A GREEN <lagoff11_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> PING an address that you think might be available
> and if it comes back unattached then you are good to
> go.
>
> LAG
>
> Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:
> I know you probably are already aware of this Ed,
> but maybe others can
> benefit from this discussion...
>
> It is also possible if you have another computer
> that is successfully
> using DHCP, to setup a manual config on the Newton
> the uses the same
> router and all other info, and to give the Newton an
> IP Address on the
> same subnet with a higher last number. ie
> 192.168.0.x where x is the
> number you will "guess".
<snip>

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin