Re: [NTLK] Newton and networking

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 20:50:48 PDT

OK. This gets weirder.
A coworker brought in his iBook G4 and hooked it up to
the internal network using DHCP and got an IP and
browsed the web no problem. It seems that only my Newt
is having troubles...
Drat!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jeff Sheldon <jeff_at_jurai.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:13:48PM -0700, Ed Kummel
> wrote:
> > So. Here is my plea. I need someone to tell me a
> > reason WHY the Newton cannot get an IP from the
> DHCP
> > server, so I can tell the network wonks what they
> need
>
> Do you know anyone using a laptop seamlessly? The
> BOFHs may be filtering
> by MAC hardware address and denying any machine that
> shows up on the
> network that's not in their DHCP config.
>
> > one thing worse than a stuck-up Unix guru
> <otherwise
> > known as a BOFH>...and we all know what THAT
> > evangelical person is....;-)
>
> When I was interviewed for my current job, I was
> asked almost nothing
> about my technical skills and plenty about what
> games I play and to see
> how I'd respond to certain BOFH-esque cultural
> understandings. Needless
> to say, they hired me...and I exercised my first
> executive decision in
> refusing to go PalmOS.
>
> > hopefully I can go to my network helpdesk wonks
> and
> > tell them that I need the framajammer
> thing-a-majig
> > service active on the router. And because I sounds
> > like I knows what I is doing, they'll implement
> the
> > change with little fanfare...
>
> If it is a hardware address issue, you might be able
> to e-mail them with
> the MAC ID on the back of the PCMCIA card and
> mention that you've got a
> new laptop with Linux-of-their-choice running on it,
> but can't connect
> to the network. ;)
>

> -Jeff

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin