Re: [NTLK] Repair clinic in Paris

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 12:49:28 PDT

> I have a 2100, which I used to *love* until about a year and a half
> ago, when it stopped accepting charge

If you feel up to opening it, have a look here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

What you describe can be caused if one of the wires from the battery
cage is torn off. See http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassembly25large.jpg
for a closer look at the cables (black and red).

> And then I tried a different power adapter, at the same
> voltage setting, but no luck.

Argh...

I hope "different power adapter" does not mean "cheap unregulated power
adapter whose switch I set to 7.5 Volt"...
In that case your Newton's mainboard is likely to be toast.

> It will no longer start up. :(

This can have a variety of reasons. You will find a reset sequence on the
above-mentioned page that you should follow exactly. Exactly as in "don't
do anything differently no matter how unimportant it may seem".
If it doesn't power up then, there is a hardware problem.

> Is there any chance that there will be some sort of Newton clinic
> at the Paris show?

Not sure if I'd pass as a clinic, but I will most likely be there. So will
others who could do this.

> Alternatively, is there anyone providing a repair
> service in Europe?

I am, if you can't wait. But you could also take Johannes up on his
offer and send the Newton his way. The cost for sending it on to
me is negligible if he can't fix it.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de