[NTLK] Beginner's questions/Etiquette (was: SSL?...)

From: Jesse Garnier (radiofreenewton_at_stonehopper.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 12:03:44 PDT

Well, I for one found Marty's initial response a bit terse. And, Marty,
I don't mean to pick on you with this message. You've been consistently
helpful on the list, and certainly many of us have posted something
similar in moments of frustration or impatience.

Generally, though, I'm not a huge fan of "check the archives" messages.
Here's why:

1) Answering beginner's questions patiently -- almost always posed by
new list members -- helps welcome people to our fledgling platform.

2) Usually the person responding knows the answer, and it takes very
little more time to respond "No current Newton browsers support SSL or
HTTP. You can check the archives (link) for more information, as the
topic has been discussed frequently."

3) I believe questions like that can actually *strengthen* the archive.
Case in point is Daniel's response, which, not only is excellent
information, it may eventually lead to an answer to the original question!

4) It's just not very nice.

I myself apologize for not answering more basic questions than in the
past. I will try to be more attentive and responsive to "newbie"
questions, some of which I can answer.

Best regards to all--

--
Jesse Garnier