Re: [NTLK] Ethernet woes (long)

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 08:23:29 PDT

On Jun 23, 2004, at 11:11 AM, Mark Holden wrote:

> I'm been trying to connect my N2100 to my desktop eMac via ethernet for
> several weeks now with no joy. Despite reading the connection FAQ and
> the various email threads that have covered this I can't find the
> problem. I'm sure it must be something really obvious I'm missing but..
> I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. Can anybody tell me
> where I'm going wrong?
> <snip>

Mark,

What about on the eMac - have you enabled AppleTalk for the Built-in
Ethernet? A common mistake is that AppleTalk is enabled for Airport,
and with OSX you cannot have AppleTalk enabled on more than one network
interface. So look in your Network pane on the eMac (System
Preferences) and change Show: to Built-in Ethernet, then click on the
AppleTalk tab and see if it's enabled. If it isn't, it probably is for
Airport, so change Show: to Airport to verify that. If that's the case,
then disable AppleTalk for the Airport interface, enable it for
Built-in Ethernet, and have fun!

- Dave