[NTLK] Ethernet woes (long)

From: Mark Holden (spartacus68_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 08:11:24 PDT

I'm been trying to connect my N2100 to my desktop eMac via ethernet for
several weeks now with no joy. Despite reading the connection FAQ and
the various email threads that have covered this I can't find the
problem. I'm sure it must be something really obvious I'm missing but..
I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. Can anybody tell me
where I'm going wrong?

This is the equipment I'm using:
Newton MP 2100
eMac 1GHz
Netgear 5-port Ethernet switch (model FS605)
3com Etherlink PC card 3C589C

I have installed Newton Internet Enabler, Newton Devices, Newton
Ethernet Support, Newton Internet Setup, Farralon PN895 Driver, 3Com
Add-on (3comaddon.pkg) and the 3Com Driver (3c589.pkg) as per the
instructions on the excellent 'Newton Ethernet Explained' site
(http://newted.dyndns.org/users/1f2frfbf/ethernet.html).

On the Newton I have set up a Primary Ethernet Setup in Internet Setup
with the following details:
Configuration: DHCP Server
Card: 3Com 3C589 PC card
Domain name: <none>

In Prefs, AppleTalk preferences are set to 'connect using Ethertalk'
and 'Card 3Com 3C589 PC card'

The Dock is set up to 'connect via AppleTalk' but when I select
'Connect to ... other computer' all I get is the "Looking for MacOS
computers.." box. The activity LED on the ethernet switch for the Newt
connection does not light up at any point.

I've tried the 3Com card in my 1400 Powerbook. It works like a charm
and I have no trouble networking this with my eMac via the Netgear
switch. I've also tried deleting the packages mentioned above and then
re-installing them but this hasn't helped. I have other software
installed on the Newton including ATA support for a 128Mb compact flash
disk, Hiroshi's wireless LAN driver, Blunt, IC/VC all of which I hoped
to start using soon.

So... any suggestions before I do a total brainwipe and start again?
any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Mark