Re: [NTLK] Phone numbers

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 14:03:36 PDT

Aux environs du 28/06/04 à 16:50 -0400, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Phone numbers", David Abramowitz prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire
les mots suivants:
>On Jun 28, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:
>

>> Is there any country where I shouldn't do this? Is there any country
>> where I should do another transformation?
>>

>Wacky phone fun. In the US, if we dial out internationally, we must use
>the leading zero (so when I dial Israel, I start with "011"), so
>dropping it wouldn't be an option here if I read your e-mail correctly.

Actually, no.

What do you have in your Newton address book for your contacts in
Israel? That's the question I ask. Could there be any number starting
with a 0? If so, should the 0 be dialed after 972 (the country code
for Israel)?

My problem is to transform whatever you have in your address book to
the international format.

International format is country code followed by number (including area code).

If you need to dial 011 972 2 123456 to reach a contact in Jerusalem,
then I need to pass 972 2 123456 to the phone (without spaces, of
course).

Some countries have funny long distance prefixes like 011.
Some countries have funny leading 0 that are between parentheses
because you don't need them when calling from abroad.

The difference is that you surely don't include the 011 in the entry
for your contacts in Israel, but you normally do include the 0 for
phone numbers in France in your Newton card entries. And the Newton
can cope with these.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/