[NTLK] PCBMan eMate memory upgrade

From: Rick Perron (rpgraph_at_maine.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 11:53:19 PST

[WARNING: Long-winded introduction to follow. Skip to bottom for actual
question.]

I am new to the whole Newton experience, but it hasn't taken me long to
get hooked! I got my eMate 300 off of eBay a few weeks ago and have
been "obsessed" with it (according to my wife) ever since. :-)
Unfortunately, the screen quickly went from easy opening to very stiff.
I found this list and learned about the famous hinge problem. Luckily,
with the help of Joel Sciamma's excellent instructions at
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html I was
able to take care of things before the spring gave way. (Isn't the
internet great!)

My next adventure was getting a 3Com ethernet card off of eBay and
trying to make it work with Mac OS X Panter by way of Escale <
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/> I didn't quite get time to figure
that out, but I did get it to work with the serial cable and my Keyspan
SX Pro PCI serial card. (I don't know how that worked out, since I
didn't think I had installed the OS X Keyspan drivers?? But who's
complaining?)

Then came the next step--getting it to do e-mail with a 3Com modem card
and SimpleMail. Apparently, Roadrunner has to have a special login
script for their dial-up service that I had to figure out. But it's
working great now.

*** So... now that I am hooked, I would like to purchase one of
PCBMan's memory upgrade cards. How do I go about this?***

--Rick