Re: [NTLK] Can NCU be made to sync with Palm Desktop?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 23:15:47 PST

on 3/4/04 2:16 PM, Luiz Petroni at lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br wrote:

> There should be some configuration/extention problem whitin your
> Classic/MacOSX installation - I've been using NCU with Classic on
> Jaguar/Panther and it's really stable. Even Newton Press seems more
> stable!
>
> With NCU/Classic/Jaguar I was able to sync Names/Dates/Notes with
> PalmDesktop with no problems. I adjusted PalmDesktop fields to fit my
> needs and used NCU to link them with affiliate fields in Names.
>
> When Panther was released I jumped to OSX only applications for a while
> but decided to go back to Classic because of my Newton.

No, I'm talking about ancient stuff here--back to the beta 1.0. I could
never get NCU to reliably sync with Now Contact 3.0. Granted, it worked
better with Claris Organizer, in that I could actually get a sync on
occasion, but I never once got a sync with Now Contact 3.0, which was what I
was using at the time.(upgraded to Claris Org 2, but it didn't meet my
needs)

It's not a matter of stability, but of actually getting an export or sync to
work. Usually it bombs out "backing up data" and if it gets that far,
sometimes it bombs out towards the end. I started using NCU back in the beta
days, on a freshly upgraded Newton 120 (upgraded from 1.3 to 2.0). I even
hashed it over with the members of the dev team, and they were stumped--so
stumped, in fact, that it was discussed (over the phone!) that maybe I
would send in my Newt for testing there. Unfortunately, the powers that were
nixed the idea, but in any case, I've never gotten Now Contact 3.0 sync to
work. It was a long, ancient story, and even hashed out on this list (back
in the days that Sean was list dad!!!) I bought Now Sync, and just never
looked back. (especially when Now Contact upgraded to 3.5, which broke
forever the NCU sync option.)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland