[NTLK] This trick never works! Ethernet joys...

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 15:56:49 PST

        Recently, despite the problems others have had, I bought a 3Com
3C589D-TP Ethernet card and dongle, since using Escale with TCP/IP over
802.11b causes a crash after every package install and I've never been
able to get Appletalk working with my PowerBook under Panther. I
installed the Farallon driver, and the 3Com 3C589 patch in my Newton,
set both machines to use TCP/IP with DHCP (Newton on DHCP Server, with
the Prefs for AppleTalk set to EtherTalk), and tried to connect using
Escale and NewtSync.
        In both cases it tries to load the DHCP protocol with different
results. With NewtSync the "Connecting" window says "Loading the DHCP
protocol" for thirty seconds or so, then closes with no files
exchanged. With Escale, when I try to connect from the Newton the
"Connecting to the Internet" window stays open for thirty seconds or so
and then I get an alert that says "NIE error: Problems connecting.
DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure this device." I am
using what's supposed to be a straight-through CAT 5 cable, but the
cross-over one that connects the hub up to the modem doesn't work
either. Any suggestions as to what I try next?

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net