Re: [NTLK] This trick never works! Ethernet joys...

From: Travis N (fizikci_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 21:06:03 PST

Greetings Bruce,

I cannot speak directly to wired ethernet, as I have only tried
wireless. I have had many issues with setups, here is what worked for
me:

Newton:

• Install standard ethernet/internet packages (see
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/EthernetDrivers also check
out the pages for wireless if need be)

• Use card slip to setup card by choosing network type (I use
infastructure, but ad-hoc should work for a computer-computer only
connection), enter name of network (I suggest keeping it simple just in
case {one word}), I do not use wep as my card does not support it.
Turn on appletalk for that card if you wish.

• Use Internet setup app to setup you card manually. Look at the
settings on your Mac (the wireless settings) an copy the router and
subnet, manually assign an IP near that of your Mac (note your mac's
address)

Mac:

• Disable any firewalls for now. (and other port managers/watchers)

• Enable appletalk in system prefs if you would like to use it. make
sure interface (ethernet, airport, etc) that you want to use is at the
top of the list in network port configurations.

• Launch Escale or Newtsync (if Escale, make sure it find interfaces,
watch the three little icons in the lower right corner).

Newt:

• launch corresponding app. For newtsync and Escale(IP) manually set
it to look for the IP of your mac.

If you have trouble with this, try to use appletalk with Escale, but
choose other computer to let it scan for other appletalk computers, if
it doesn't find your make (with Escale running there) there is a setup
problem. I have seen suggestions to assign port passthroughs in the
wireless router to redirect 15552 to your Mac, could also do with 3679
for Escale.

Other issues I have encountered:

• reduced multicast rate to accommodate Newt's card
• Newtsync's address sync and Escale's package installer and address
sync hard problems working through my snow airport. I worked around
this by setting my ethernet as my primary interface (putting first in
network port config) and turning on internet sharing to share the
connection from ethernet over my airport card (essentially creating a
new wireless network (use a different name and adjust Newt
accordingly). This disables internet for both my Mac and the newt (my
ethernet port is not plugged into anything), but it worked perfectly!
In the macs network setup, I manually assigned IPs to both ethernet and
airport (the airport is the important one from the newt's point of
view) as well as kept the default subnet and router (same as I would
normally see on my mac)

You should be able to use a similar setup over ethernet if you wish, I
think using internet sharing to create both an infrastructure network
and bypassing a router helps greatly.

Hope this helps.

-travis n

He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women, nor of great occurrences,
nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his
wife. He only dreamed of places now and of the lions on the beach.

-- Hemingway's Old Man and The Sea