Re: [NTLK] Launch, License or Liberate?! [was Re: OT: Steve and the Newton (Was: Money Making)]

From: Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes (marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 07:56:29 PST

I agree. It's feasible. Can't answer to the main questions: "how much?"
and "how long?".

License? If someone wants to do it, it's doable even with no licenses:

 - use a better, quicker processor
 - create a different design
 - use a different HWR software, Grafitti-like HWR or no HWR at all
 - emulate a Newton device in software

Pay attention to the last item and your hardware could be as Newton-like
as you want (but it's not easy)

Or, alternatively, we could reverse engineer everything, the same way
that was done it the PC world good 20 years ago and "100% IBM PC
Compatibles" begin to proliferate.