Re: [NTLK] Launch, License or Liberate?! [was Re: OT: Steve and the Newton (Was: Money Making)]

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 14:29:06 PST

Apple is the "pitbull" of licensing.
I remember reading somewhere, that Apple has more
lawyers than they have engineers...
and unless you can come up with hundreds of millions
of dollars (not like Dell who only offered them a
couple of million dollars for their Newton technology)
I doubt Apple would even bother to look in your
direction.
In all my dealings with Apple from a corporate
position, I have found that if the request doesn't fit
within a pre-defined standard, it is refused...which
is kinda funny...it seems that the corporate leaders
are not "free thinkers"

Ed
web/gadget guru

--- josh musket <jmusket_at_nmu.edu> wrote:
> Seriously, how many list members and other newton
> enthusiasts would like
> to start a think tank to look into the feasibility
> of upgrading the
> newton and relaunching? I would. I wouldn't be of a
> lot of help
> technically, but I do have some experience in design
> (cases, etc). It
> seems like many newton people are adept technically,
> either in hardware
> or programming - so it might be feasible if the
> venture capital could be
> gotten. And of course, the hard part: the liscense
> from Apple.
>
> So a bit of each, sort of.
>
> Well, those are my thoughts, and my first post. Glad
> to be here.
>
> Josh Musket
>
> Dead 130, eMate in the mail, hope to have a 2100
> sometime, too.

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.