Re: [NTLK] Received a suspicious e-mail about a Newton survey.

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 11:16:30 PST

On Mar 11, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Dave Bonhoff wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I called Michael and we had a brief discussion
> regarding this email. He stated that Stone Multimedia Solutions has
> been contracted to perform a marketing survey for a company which does
> not wish to be named at this time. The company is exploring the
> possibility of purchasing the Newton rights from Apple (I laughed at
> that!) and designing and marketing a new device with the features
> listed in the email, plus possibly other features or functions that
> might be suggested.

That is pretty cool and completely unlikely. Since Apple still uses the
HWR in 10.3 I don't see them selling off any of it, and without the
HWR, who wants a Newton?

> Michael was a bit confused as to why people would be suspicious of his
> email, as he believes that his email was straight forward and open. He
> also encourages anyone interested to call or email him. He can be
> reached at:

1. because of the bad/awkward english in the e-mail

2. because it asked for a reply via e-mail that would verify your
address

3. because it says you are selected randomly (not how they found you or
knew you were a Newton user) and please pass this on to all the people
you know

4. because it actually includes a feature set for the yet unannounced,
unlicensed, undeveloped product

> For what it is worth, I would like to participate in the survey myself
> to voice my support. Would someone please email me the survey (off
> list I guess)?

I do think its pretty cool and I would be happy to do it, just that it
did look like spam for the reasons I noted above.

David