Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Shareware

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 22:02:37 PST

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:59:36PM -0600, Matthew Hudson wrote:

> What is the least annoying non-crippled - but entices you to pay -
> method of distributing shareware? Other than the softwares usefulness
> what entices you to pay for your shareware purchases?

Dismissing a nagging dialog box on a periodic basis seems to be the
optimum mix of functionality versus convenience for me. Time-locked
demos that *lock* after their window always seem to provide enough time
for evaulating something that is used for hours every single day. It's
far too little if I end up not looking at the package more than
occasionally. It becomes a "Well, this might be cool, but I can't tell
anymore. Might as well delete it..." situation.

--
The trouble with things that extend your lifespan is that they happen at
wrong end. I'd hate to be wearing Depends at 85 and thinking "I gave up