Re: [NTLK] Newton programs wish list (WAS:Newton MPEG Support/How about PDF?)

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 11:35:43 PST

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:05:25 -0500, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> I could have sworn someone mentioned again how it would be nice to
> port either
> the Gecko (Mozilla/Netscape 7) or KDE KHTML (Konqueror/Safari) rendering
> engines to NewtonOS. I can't find it in the archives though...

Tough luck ;) The memory requirements for Gecko or KHTML are way beyond
what the poor Newton has to offer (about 2.7MB free RAM). Just looking
at the Mozilla or Safari memory footprint on a desktop gives a good
indication what to expect. You could probably port the code, but as
soon as some non-trivial pages would have to be parsed, you will run
out of memory.

Eckhart