[NTLK] [Q] SimpleMail walkthrough? Text Stationary? ICS Text Editor?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 04:36:02 PDT

>On 21-mei-04, at 10:51, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>> Q: Say, is there a somewhere a concise SimpleMail installation
>> walkthrough?
>
>SimpleMail's Homepage?
><http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/>aah66
>
>Robert Benschop

Thanks, neighbour! But it only has the installation guide
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/extensions/index.html#install,
which deals with what optional addins do or don't, and then there's the 23
page (!) SM Guide.pdf
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/SM%20Guide.pdf (also available
as help package http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/Help.pkg, but
it always has to be closed when switching windows -- or is there any way to
cycle apps to front on the Newton like Alt + Tab on Windows?).
23 pages about all bells and whistles is too long, I'm looking for
something that goes 1., 2., 3. etc. for just the basic setup with
SimpleMail and Text Stationary (and maybe one or multiple mail accounts).

Q: So, anybody got a one-page Complete Moron's Guide(TM) to SimpleMail?

Another matter: I've installed the Text Stationary as instructed. There are
now two text stationaries on my MP - one of 12 KB (SimpleMail's "Scroll by
line/by page"-pref), one of 4 KB (telling me "Tapping this does nothing").

Q: Should I delete the 4 KB Text Stationary? Where is it from, what app
uses this (ActionNames, MPG, ICS NewtCase, GPSMap, Newt's Weather,
NewtVNC... ???). Does the text stationary from SimpleMail offer the same
functions? Or is there any way to resolve that conflict? (Maybe by using
ICS Text Editor -- dead link on the SimpleMail page, though... Empty page
linked through http://www.newts.com, too... Not even Archive.org delivers
-- they have the download page, but not the package... UNNA doesn't know
that one, either... Does this exist at all?)

Help much appreciated, as usual. ;=}

DJV.

P.S.: Regarding ICS TextEditor -- Dan Rowley says: "We've decided to
release the never-finished ICS Text Editor as unsupported freeware. It's
essentially an as-is release of a product that never saw the light of day,
and was included (sort of) in a limited fashion with X-Port (as it will
continue to be included). Call it a gift to the Newton community. If an
enterprising developer wants to assume development of the ICS Text editor
and is willing to keep it free, <mailto:dan_at_newts.com>contact the author
directly and we'll send you the source code (you have to agree not to sell
a product based on the code)."
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010616120646/http://www.newts.com/cgi-bin/news.cgi?icsnews&04158142749