Re: [NTLK] UNNA Ideas

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 17:55:37 PDT

On Monday, May 24, 2004, at 06:19 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> From: "Laurie Kern" <ljkern_at_earthlink.net>
> I have been to the AMUG
> site and they have a 1.x direcotry but no descriptions so if you are
> looking
> for a "Description Editor" - I would like to raise my hand and
> volunteer.
> Just let me know what I have to do.

Actually they used to have, in each directory, a .txt file with file
names and descriptions.

I have a 1500-item dbase of 1.x and 2.x software that I put together,
it's a FilemakerPro file that I assembled from many listings. The plus
is it has nice descriptions especially for 1.x stuff, those are long
gone from other sources; the minus is that it's rather out of date for
newer stuff. I used to have it up on the web but it was a pretty
clunky search interface, I could never get the web interface customized
for a better one, and I'm just not having time to port it to a
unix-based server. I could put it back as a Filemaker-served document
again though if someone wanted. Only one person ever added a current
description to it, although it had that feature.

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only