Re: [NTLK] Programming question

From: Simon Bell (simonbell_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 07:12:50 PDT

On 25 May, 2004, at 2:17 pm, Brian Uhreen wrote:

> I have a question about programming applications for the newt: How do
> you
> know whether to use newtscript or c++ or asm, etc.

There's a trade-off.

NewtonScript:
o is tightly bound to the user interface
o is very compact
o allows rapid prototyping

C++
o is faster

See the Newton C++ Tools Programmer's Reference for a full explanation
of why you shouldn't use C++ unless you absolutely have to.

Mail V's Image Stationery, for example, although not an application per
se, uses NewtonScript for the view in which a Newton bitmap is
displayed but C++ to convert JPEG (or whatever) data to a Newton
bitmap.

Simon