[NTLK] Continuous reboot..reboot...reboot...reboot... ?

From: Tom Stock (tstock_at_tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 19:48:13 PST

Hi, Ok, my MP2000 arrived. This is my first newton. I have to admit I
laughed when I first saw it... I expected big... but wow it's BIG!!!
Then I turned it on... WOW it's cool!! I am already in love with this
thing. I ordered another newton (a MP2100) and one of the camo newton
pouches too. I managed to get my 3c589D ethernet card working and did
some web browsing and email sending with NetHopper. I had some problems
with NetHopper not being able to open certain websites, so I decided to
install Luna Suite. This caused my newton to crash and then
continuously reboot... I couldn't turn it off and I couldnt get it to
stop rebooting. It was in an endless loop. I removed the batteries and
had to "Erase All Data" to get it to come back to planet earth.

I had done a backup using NCU but when I went to restore from backup it
seemed as if NCU hadn't actually backed up anything at all. Couldn't
find a backup file anywhere.
What gives? This meant reinstalling all of the software (except for Luna
suite of course) and loosing all of the data I painstakingly entered
into the datebook and contact database.

So, what did I do wrong, and how do I recover without loosing everything
next time this happens?

Also, are there any "must have" newton applications I should be aware of?

Thanks
Tom