Re: [NTLK] Wow it's just keeps getting better!

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 18:52:57 PST

* Tom Stock <tstock_at_tampabay.rr.com> [ 9 Nov 2004 07:02]:
> Okay, I don't mean to waste bandwidth by talking newbie amazement, but
> I just can't resist.

I for one don't mind. :-)

> Today I discovered that when the newton just can't get a word right, I
> can select it, double tap, and then enter the word with the keyboard
> panel. From that point on the word is in the dictionary and it gets
> it correct every time.

Also, you can try "Try letters" from that little menu - it'll do a
letter-by-letter attempt, rather than the usual whole-word approach. And
if there's only one letter wrong, just write the correct letter over top
of the incorrect one. As long as you do this soon after the Newton makes
the mistake, it'll learn the corrected version. (But if you mess up in
your writing - drop or add some letters or whatever - scrub the word out
and start over so the Newton doesn't learn anything wrong.)

> I swear it's getting to the point where I feel like my newton can either
> a) read my mind or b) read my handwriting better than I can. There is
> also the added benefit that I am "relearning" cursive handwriting. I've
> been writing in all caps since I started programming in the 80s. The
> amazing partt is that it was 80% accurate the first time I wrote on it
> in cursive. I was floored.

There are a few people on this list who have mentioned either a) the
Newton can read their handwriting better than they can themselves, or b)
their handwriting has improved since they started teaching the Newton
their quirks. As for reading minds, well, a lot of people (myself
included) refer to the Newton as "my other brain"...

> I'm now having a VERY difficult time with my palm pilot. Talk about egg
> freckles. I feel like I'm trying to write in some alien alphabet, where
> the letters are stacked on top of each other to form words.

Never tried the palm, and the more I hear about it the less I'm
interested :-)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project