Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie

From: Tony Goh (hitonygoh_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 18:44:07 PST

Dave,

I have done more homework!.

I have checked and configured the card setup to supposedly suit my network settings. When I check Infrastructure mode, the channel selection shows a comment "(ignored)". However, I checked my wireless set up and it shows that the SSID has broadcast enabled and it is USR8054. The Channel is 11.

So, the WaveLan card set up does not allow a channel selection, or at least seems to make the channel irrelevant. I can't change the channel on my wireless set up (since I forgot my admin password - so slap me. Ouch!). But even if I could, considering the WaveLan makes it irrelevant by ignoring it, it seems academic - right?

Should I include the SSID in the Card set up as well?

What are your thoughts or anybody else's for that matter?

David Abramowitz <david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net> wrote:

On Nov 22, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Tony Goh wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I completed the following steps:

Tony, you've got the right driver, but you need to configure the
Wireless card. It sounds to me like that step has not been done, and
the card is probably trying to connect to the previous owner's wireless
network. Again, you'll want to go to your Extras drawer and pick the
Card application (normally in the Unfiled Icons folder). This will
bring up a slip which should have your wireless card info on it (and
another slip for your external flash card if you have one). On the slip
for the wireless card, you should see a Setup button. Pick it, and
there you should see all the configuration options for the card.

The crucial parts of that configuration slip are Mode, which should be
set to Infrastructure, Channel, which should be 1 or whatever channel
your router is on, and most importantly, the SSID, the name of your
wireless network. If you're not using WEP then the "use WEP" checkbox
should not be checked - pick it to uncheck it if it is.

That should be all you need. The problem is not your mail settings -
it's the wireless card configuration.

Hope that helps,
Dave

P.S. Feel free to dial me up on iChat - I use my AIM ID, udog124
(wife's got my .mac account name - probably time to get her an AIM
account, so I can make use of my .Mac ID, eh?)

Regards,
Tony Goh
hitonygoh_at_yahoo.com
 530 236 7836 Internet Fax