Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie - Wireless Card Problems

From: Tony Goh (hitonygoh_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 15:34:29 PST

Sonny, Dave, et al.

I have made some changes to both my wireless router settings and Internet Set up.

Router

   For wireless connection I have selected channel 1. Somehow the system lists an MAC address for wireless connectivity. Is this relevant? See below.
   My wan connection is PPPoE. Does this impact the results?

Internet Settings:

   Configuration: Manual
   Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
   Local IP Address: 192.168.123.254
   Gateway Router Address: 69.209.102.110
   Primary DNS/ Name Server Address: 192.168.123.254

(One of my other internet set ups is – Configuration "DHCP Server".)

I have made three changes to my Wavelan Card Settings:

   Added the SSID : USR8054
   Mode set to "Ad-Hoc"
   Channel 1.
   WEP remains unabled.

5. This setting I call "Ad-Hoc".

Current "Owner" settings:

   POP: pop.ameritech.yahoo.com
   SMTP: smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com

As mentioned, when I attempted to send email using the internet configuration of "Infractructure" I get this error message:

"SimpleMail

Problems Connecting. DHCP Server unavailable or unable to configure".

.

Now ,using the above internet setting of manual configuration and Wavelan card setting, I am able to make some progress. Now the card/Newton seems to make its way out to the internet, or so seemingly. This time I get a different error message:

"SimpleMail

Couldn’t resolve IP address ‘smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com’."

I maybe tantalizingly close to making a connection for my email. Is that right?

If I am I need to work on internet access for browsing. Which I assume would follow the same configuration for simple mail – correct?

And the $64,000 question. Why the hell is it this hard to connect to the internet/ mail from my home wireless network (802.11g, versus the card 802.11b)?

When I go mobile, will I have to go through the same thing of finding all the addresses?

WAN

MAC Address

00-c0-49-e5-23-cd

Connection

PPPoE Connected

IP

69.209.102.110

Subnet Mask

255.0.0.0

Default Gateway

69.209.102.110

DNS

67.36.55.26 206.141.193.55

LAN

MAC Address

00-c0-49-e5-23-cc

IP Address

192.168.123.254

Subnet Mask

255.255.255.0

DHCP Server

Enabled DHCP Table

Wireless

MAC Address

00-c0-49-e4-1b-28

ESSID

USR8054

Channel

1

WEP

Disabled

Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com> wrote:On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:44:07 -0800 (PST), Tony Goh wr=
ote:
> I have checked and configured the card setup to supposedly suit my networ=
k settings. When I check Infrastructure mode, the channel selection shows a=
comment "(ignored)". However, I checked my wireless set up and it shows th=
at the SSID has broadcast enabled and it is USR8054. The Channel is 11.

IIRC you should change the configuration of the card to ad-hoc and
then change the channel settings to the one you need. I ran into this
when configuring mine when I first tried. Then set it back to
Infrastructure - I think this should correct your issue. (I may be
wrong - I hope not!)

> So, the WaveLan card set up does not allow a channel selection, or at lea=
st seems to make the channel irrelevant. I can't change the channel on my w=
ireless set up (since I forgot my admin password - so slap me. Ouch!). But =
even if I could, considering the WaveLan makes it irrelevant by ignoring it=
, it seems academic - right?

You should check your User Manual. The Wireless Router can be reset to
factory default generally if you hold the reset button for 4-10
seconds. Then the IP address of the router (please record it as the
brands vary withthe default IP) . On a XP box accessing the router in
an Internet Explorer window with the Admin (username) and Password
(password or no password for most) will get you in... HTH, check your
user manual for the exact way to get in and the username and password.

> Should I include the SSID in the Card set up as well?

YES!
--=20
God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family

> David Abramowitz wrote:
>=20
> On Nov 22, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Tony Goh wrote:
>=20
> > Dave,
> >
> > I completed the following steps:
> >

>=20
> Tony, you've got the right driver, but you need to configure the
> Wireless card. It sounds to me like that step has not been done, and
> the card is probably trying to connect to the previous owner's wireless
> network. Again, you'll want to go to your Extras drawer and pick the
> Card application (normally in the Unfiled Icons folder). This will
> bring up a slip which should have your wireless card info on it (and
> another slip for your external flash card if you have one). On the slip
> for the wireless card, you should see a Setup button. Pick it, and
> there you should see all the configuration options for the card.
>=20
> The crucial parts of that configuration slip are Mode, which should be
> set to Infrastructure, Channel, which should be 1 or whatever channel
> your router is on, and most importantly, the SSID, the name of your
> wireless network. If you're not using WEP then the "use WEP" checkbox
> should not be checked - pick it to uncheck it if it is.
>=20
> That should be all you need. The problem is not your mail settings -
> it's the wireless card configuration.
>=20
> Hope that helps,
> Dave
>=20
> P.S. Feel free to dial me up on iChat - I use my AIM ID, udog124
> (wife's got my .mac account name - probably time to get her an AIM
> account, so I can make use of my .Mac ID, eh?)
>=20
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquirie=
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinew=
t/
>=20
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> Tony Goh
>=20
> hitonygoh_at_yahoo.com
>=20
> 530 236 7836 Internet Fax
>=20
> 530 685 5436 Internet Voicemail
>=20
>=20
> The all-new My Yahoo! =E2=80=93 What will yours do?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --