Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie - Wireless Card Problems

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 18:34:48 PST

Is USR8054 in your router as the name of the network? I'm still
wondering where this came from...

Anyhoodle, perhaps it would be best to share with you a working
configuration. Try to imitate it as much as possible, and let's see how
far we get. First thing I would do is update your wireless driver. The
last version from Hiroshi was 1.08 (I saw you're using 1.06). This
shouldn't make any difference per se, but always nice to use the
latest.

I have a DSL modem connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station. And I
connect through PPPoE as you do. Let's say the name of my Airport
network is SpongeBob.

On the Newton, I have the Lucent card configured as such:

Mode: Infrastructure (this should be the case if you're using a router,
Ad-Hoc is for computer-to-computer connections)
Channel: 1 (Ignored) - don't care about this, the Base Station is set
to Automatic, just ignore this
SSID: SpongeBob (make sure if your network has spaces in its name,
then so does this entry - it should be exact)
use WEP: (unchecked)

In my Internet Setup I have a configuration called "Wireless", with the
following settings:

Configuration: DHCP Server (The Base Station will assign it an
address)
Card: Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
Domain Name: <None>

In my Worksite called Home, I added an 802.11b setup (tap the Add
button, and you'll see what's available to you) which has the same
information as the slip for the WaveLan card above, and the Internet
Setup for this worksite is set to Wireless.

Does that help at all? I would not put any manual DNS settings on the
Newt, just get everything, including your IP and DNS settings, from the
router. Check and make sure the router is configured to assign IP's,
and you should be good to go.

- Dave