[NTLK] Apple G4 PowerBook Audio in

From: Joel Pigdon (jtpigdon_at_students.latrobe.edu.au)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 05:21:28 PDT

I own a Griffin iMic and it works really well. Better than an onboard
sound card in many respects such as signal to noise ratio. Only thing
is it takes a lot of USB bandwidth so you wouldn't want to have it
plugged into a hub with other USB intensive stuff on it. It also has
the free software from Griffin which only works with iMic which is nice
for simple recording needs although something like Felt Tip sound
studio or Armadeus would be more suited to removing that persistant
hiss or the occasional crackle. Also I was amazed when I tried to plug
it into an old pc I had kicking around with no soundcard, It was
automatically supported by Windows 2000 and therefore I presume Xp and
also Windows 98 when I installed the sound bits off the cd.
If you want to go up in dollars a nice m-audio firewire box with 96khz
24bit input would be nice but I wouldnt think your lps would be in good
enough condition to warrant the extra expense, stick with the iMic,
it'll capture as good as a cd
The tech specs are 48khz sampling frequency, cd's use 44.1 and 20 bit
input as opposed to 16 bit for cd's.
Also on the newton connection issue I would see if the Powerbook has
IR, mine is the 400 mhz version and it has an IR port on the back,
around the corner from my headphone socket. I used newton DIL tester to
get the networking components onto my 2100 after a hard reset
Good luck