Re: [NTLK] handwriting question

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 16:41:42 PDT

Not specifically because it's an MP2000 (or 2100), but
the speed is definatly a major factor in the
appearance of quality of handwriting recognition! Plus
the additional heap space allows you to run
handwriting recognition enhancers! If you do print
writing, I highly recommend the latest itteration of
alt.rec. I have a copy on my Newton download page (see
tagline). It makes a world of difference.
Also, I recommend that you use Corrector+. This allows
you to automagically change commonly mis-recognized
parts of words...like in when the Newt recognises
"iny" instead of "ing" at the end of a word...this
will fix that.
Plus, I can't stress this enough.....expansions,
expansions, expansions! Use them! My newt regularly
recognizes words that I write frequently, wrong. So to
solve this, I create an expansion that whenever the
newt sees one of the words I know it will get wrong,
it will substitute it with the correct word. This is
similar to the way Corrector+ works, but is better for
when a whole word is wtong. For instance, the newt
regularly recognizes "ahd" so I have an expansion that
changes it to "and". Same thing with the word "beins".
It expands to "being".
So, while the speed of the 2000 isn't directly a
factor in the recognition capabilities of the Newt,
the speed and added heap makes it better when running
these little helpers...I can't imagine doing all this
on a 120...it would be just too slow...To give you an
idea of my 2100...it is even too slow...so I boosted
it! (newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed) Now recognition
happens so quickly, it seems like magic!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Dr. Paul Jerry" <pajerry_at_memlane.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
> I have a question. I own an MP120 which I use once
> in a while now (used to live out of it...). I am
> looking for a portable solution and wondered - is
> the handwriting recognition on the 2100 any better
> (accuracy) than the 120 (running NOS 2.0)? I
> understand that the speed is better, but my question
> is about the accuracy. Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul

> Dr. Paul Jerry
> Associate Professor, Applied Psychology
> Centre for Graduate Education in Applied Psychology
> Athabasca University
> (403)-528-1451
> paulj_at_athabascau.ca
> www.abcounsellored.net

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin