[NTLK] Marco stuff

From: Paul Braun (cygnus_at_ctgonline.org)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 19:45:26 PDT

My best friend was on the Marco team -- here's his comments:

"The Marco's were designed to work on the ARDIS network which was 800MHz
Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR) Band and 802.11 is 2.4GHz so the systems
would be incompatible.

I guess nothing would prevent you from freq converting the 800MHz signal
to 2.4GHz and vice versa and then doing an RD-LAP to 802.11 Protocol
bridge but all those additions might decrease the portability of the setup
;-).

We were, however, working on a 2.4GHz LAN project (known internally as 2.4
LAN) which was basically the precursor to 802.11 but the project got
cancelled before it shipped. It got close and we had prototype hardware up
and running. The base was called The Toaster because it looked like a
Toaster with 2 slots in the top for dropping in pcmcia 2.4 LAN cards and
the dark antenna parts would poke out looking like... well... toast.

So theoretically, had we completed the 2.4 LAN project, you could have
used one thru the pcmcia slot in the Marco. I never heard anyone talking
about producing a native 2.4 LAN version of the Envoy or Marco's though.

We basically could have owned the 802.11 market... but NOOOOOOOOOO."

Paul Braun WD9GCO
cygnus at ctgonline.org
Valparaiso, IN

"Enjoy every sandwich." -- Warren Zevon

"At Microsoft, Quality is job, oh, I dunno, maybe 7 or 8?"