Re: [NTLK] advantage of a 2100 over a 2000?

From: Blake Patterson (blakespot_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 06:09:22 PDT

--- "Henry W.Gratwick" <hgratwick_at_spymac.com> wrote:

> Hi, I just added myself to the list last night.
>
> I got myself a 120 with os 2 (fantastic device, more
> useful than i ever
> imagined!) off ebay and am now considering upgrading
> to a 2000 or 2100
> from j&k sales inc.
>
> My questions are: what makes a 2100 superior to
> 2000? is there
> anyhting one can do that the other can't?

A 2100 (and upgraded 2000's) have 4MB DRAM giving the
units more internal store but more importantly more
application heap for programs to store their data in
during execution. With hungry apps or many less
hungry apps open, the user would often experience
problems with running out of heap memory on the 2000.
This basically never happens on 2100's (or upgraded
2000's).

> i've also hear stuff about the 2x00 models requiring
> serial
> dongles/connectors - without them, am i unable to
> connect one to my
> powerbook? (i have a belkin usb-serial dvice, works
> perfectly under
> classic)

You need either the dongle or one of the serial boards
that installs internally and provides a 9-pin mini
plug on the MP2x00 itself. I just picked up a used
2100 and it came with a dongle. I also see dongles
sold on eBay individually. Seems you could source
one.

> Lastly, what's this about an AA battery sled for the
> 2x00 models? do
> they not accomodate normal batteries wihtout one?

The normal battery is a rechargable NiMH block that is
not a standard form factor. In place of this you can
use 4x AA's in the AA sled. The battery of the Newton
2100 I just got was pretty worn down, but it also came
with a sled. So I bought a set of 4x 2300mAh
Energizer NiMH rechargeables and am loving the battery
life. The original Newton battery from Apple is
1200mAh. Much less capacity, even when new.

> Cheers guys!

Welcome.