Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5. Soft aspects. WHAT ME WORRY?

From: Greg Mason (applepenguin12_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 12:40:44 PDT

> 2. Perhaps less interesting for most of the list users.
>
> In "old" days, e.g. 2-3 years ago it was not possible to "listen" to a
> computer transmission without braking the law. Now, in our starting
> wireless times, everyone using very simple equipment could listen to
> other computer from a long distance. It is for me "big brother
> scenario" (they just now can listen to most of the mobile phone calls
> from any satellite). WHAT ME WORRY? I say NO but still I was born in a
> communist state where the communist state was listening to every
> conversation and I don't like the idea of everyone listening to my
> privacy without permission of the attorney. Do we have right to our
> privacy or not.
it still isn't possible for somebody to "snoop" your keystrokes.
Bluetooth is ENCRYPTED.

and WiFi has WPA now, which essentially is what WEP was supposed to be.

If you don't want your emails snooped, get encryption software if
you're really that paranoid.

If you're paranoid about your wireless network, and won't even trust
WPA, get yourself a Cisco VPN with 168-bit encryption.

And, in this day and age with people breaking into other computers, you
couldn't PAY me to run a windows box (well, unless it was ALOT of
money...).

So, for the paranoid out there that want to enjoy today's latest
technology, i think this iMac fits the bill pretty darn well...

-Greg