Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 06:29:40 PDT

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Rick Ludwig wrote:

> Two Button Mouse:
> This is the exact opposite direction of the simplicty theme. Why
> clutter a mouse with more than you really need? I consider my self a
> "power" user, and I almost never feel the need to use a "right-click".
> I hope Steve and his successors never cave into a two-button mouse. All
> Apple's products, though revolutionary are simple designs right down to
> the single mouse click.

Um, because people are tired of having to reach for the keyboard, just to
get the right-click menu? As for Jobs, I think you're mistaken. Go play
with NeXTStep/OpenStep - there's a pop up menu when you right click -
which of course Windows 95 copied.

I never use a Mac mouse, always use a 3rd party mouse - precisely due to
the lack of at least a 2nd button - most of the time I've got a Kensington
trackball with lots of buttons, and love it.

So far, I've no ibook/powerbook, so it doesn't bother me that much, but if
I did, I'd sure miss the 2nd and (3rd buttons) on the mouse, though in
that case I suspect my left hand would be on the keyboard while using my
right on the trackball without as much of a delay to lift my hand off the
keyboard, pick up the mouse (or move the trackball), etc.

(One of the things I started to notice is that I work much more
comfortably on the IBM Thinkpad that my job provides just because I don't
have to lift my right hand, reach for a mouse to do what I need to do,
then move it back to the keyboard to continue to type. Don't get me
wrong, a mouse is great, but the closer it is to the keyboard - whether a
trackpad or a nipple pointer in the middle of the keyboard, it's far more
efficient.)

Back to the G5 iMac - would have made a great tablet computer - too bad.
Apple would have needed to add: a touch screen, WiFi, and a battery (plus
charging circuits). Oh yeah, and a slot for a stylus, right next to a
stylized light bulb logo :D

Remember one thing: every iMac sold cuts into the more expensive desktop
sales (and the chance to sell a very expensive Apple monitor along with
it), so it's not really in Apple's best interest to sell you the best iMac
that they can. Perhaps the G4 iMacs were too popular? But, if an iMac
sale results in a few more dollars going to Apple instead of Dell, then by
all means, right?

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. /|\
  \|/ :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
  /|\ : \|/
 + v + : War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.