Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 22:50:25 PDT

On Sep 4, 2004, at 3:48 PM, keith wrote:

> Sometime around 3/9/04 (at 11:43 am -0400) Dan said:
>
>> Or just unplug the computer, that would keep her from turning it on.
>
> Of course, you'd run that internal PRAM battery down within a few
> weeks, as the computer wouldn't be able to rely on its normal
> miniscule trickle of power from the wall socket to keep its parameter
> memory alive. That would eventually keep *you* from turning it on!
>
> :-)
Actually it won't.

Although you will run down the battery this way, there have only been a
couple of Mac models ever made which misbehave with a dead battery (ie
don't start normally). The performa 475 is one of them, and simply
flipping the power switch twice gets it going.

Powercomputing boxen are terrible this way though. I saw one shop which
sold a customer a new power supply for a powertower pro that wouldn't
start up and then told the customer the logic board was bad (since it
still didn't start). A $6.50 (us) battery fixed it.

Marty