Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 06:53:26 PDT

> >> Or just unplug the computer, that would keep her from turning it on.

> > Of course, you'd run that internal PRAM battery down [...]
> > That would eventually keep *you* from turning it on!

>Actually it won't.
>
>Although you will run down the battery this way, there have only been a
>couple of Mac models ever made which misbehave with a dead battery (ie
>don't start normally).

In that case I know some people who have been unluckier than you. <g>

True, refusal to start up at all *is* pretty rare, although I have
seen it a few times. There have also been a number of instances I've
seen over the years where, when the clock battery was left unfixed
for long enough, the computer's display wouldn't power on. This was,
if I recall correctly, always with third-party graphics cards and
larger, more fussy displays. It was possibly related to resolutions
and refresh rates, but it is largely a historical issue nowadays.

Anyway, whatever the details of anyone's experiences, reports, and so
on, the moral of the tale is not to let the clock battery run down.
:-)

>A $6.50 (us) battery fixed it.

And as y'all know it *should* have been the first thing that was
checked. Of course, they don't make much money on that kind of fix,
do they? ;-0

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365