Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 10:50:11 PDT

keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk) wrote:

> True, refusal to start up at all *is* pretty rare, although I have
> seen it a few times. There have also been a number of instances I've
> seen over the years where, when the clock battery was left unfixed
> for long enough, the computer's display wouldn't power on. This was,
> if I recall correctly, always with third-party graphics cards and
> larger, more fussy displays. It was possibly related to resolutions
> and refresh rates, but it is largely a historical issue nowadays.

The first Mac that would start up with a black screen when the backup
battery was dead was the LC475. At least some versions of the CRT iMacs
behave the same. When someone reports this kind of problem, checking the
backup battery is the first thing I suggest, and in many cases, replacing
the battery fixes the problem.

- Michael

Michael J. Hußmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de