Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 12:56:48 PDT

> The keyboard powerbutton pulled a certain adb line low

   Line 2 I believe it was.. But the later keyboards power buttons sent
a keycode of $FFFF in (according to Inside Mac V I think it was) And
the original iMac had a power button, and it certainly was USB.

> In a world where keyboards are wireless, of course, a power-on key
> would require both the keyboard and the machine to be at least
> partially powered up to work.

   Couldn't it use a big cap to store enough energy to send an
appropriate pulse through the USB? Or a small solar cell or something?

> And who shuts macs down, anyway?

   Good point. I almost never do..

>> [turboslab:~/Desktop] simon% uptime
>> 11:06 up 24 days, 1:54, 3 users, load averages: 0.30 0.56 0.71

   Oooh, I'm only at 5 days, 20:15 ..

> for anything other than OS updates in months, literally. It's always

   You *shut it down* for OS updates? <g>

Jim