Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Simon Stapleton (simon_at_tufty.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 02:08:53 PDT

On 4 Sep 2004, at 00:48, keith <keith_at_vortex.co.uk> wrote:

>> The powerbutton on the Keyboard is gone, IIRC?
>
> Long gone.

Indeed. It went away with the final abolishing of ADB hardware[1], as
far as I can tell. The keyboard powerbutton pulled a certain adb line
low, IIRC - something that was used by add-on power on/off boxes way
back in the dim and distant past.

In a world where keyboards are wireless, of course, a power-on key
would require both the keyboard and the machine to be at least
partially powered up to work.

And who shuts macs down, anyway?

> [turboslab:~/Desktop] simon% uptime
> 11:06 up 24 days, 1:54, 3 users, load averages: 0.30 0.56 0.71

Last reboot was to install 10.3.5. I haven't shut this machine down
for anything other than OS updates in months, literally. It's always
on (occasionally sleeping), and generally being pounded.

Simon

[1] Not that long ago, oddly enough. My PBG4, despite having no ADB
port, has an ADB keyboard, I believe <wonders about the possibility of
hacking an adb port into the machine>

--
PGP Key Id : 0x50D0698D